February 17, 2011

I wanted to share a new picture I have added to my family tree...This is Levi Lankford known as "Chinaman".....He is not Chinese, so I'm not sure why he was called that, but hopefully we will find out....I do know he worked in the coal mines.... With his dark skin he claimed to be Black Dutch...Which is what alot of Native Americans claimed to be instead of indian....During the indian removal (trail of tears)my native American ancestors (that I've found out about so far) stayed behind and hid in the mountains in Tennessee or were married into my family....

I just learned last night that his photo is on a postcard that can be purchased out west....Someone said that they have one and was going to try to find it...When I asked what he was famous for...She replied that she thought he performed in the Wild West Shows then...How cool is that?????...Do I have any followers that live out west that have ever seen a postcard with his photo on it?...Anyone???

I hope to learn more about this Lankford ancestor of mine....Pretty fascinating with all this Native American I have in my family on both sides since I was blonde haired and blued eyed when I was growing up....Considering both of my parents have dark hair, but we all have blue eyes...I can't wait to find out more about my ancestors before me.....

Until next time!!~~hugs, Jen

10 comments:

Holli~Where The Rooster Crows said...

Wow thats so cool! Good luck in your search to find out more!

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Don't you love family history!
I live out west, but I've never seen this post card. If I do I'll snatch it up and let you know. My DIL has a cherokee great grandmother, and she is blond and blue eyed too. However, our little grandaughter is brown eyed and dark skinned, with light brown hair. The Mr. calls her his little Indian baby.
Good luck
Mercy

can you buy this card online?

Susannah said...

So interesting, Jen. I love family history. Good luck...I hope you find more information. It's fun!

Susannah

StaceyJeannette said...

Awesome! I love genealogy! Especially love finding photos of ancestors. We think there is Cherokee in my family, but haven't found proof yet. I love your photos! Sorry I'm not out west, I would look for that postcard!

Deppen homestead 1862 said...

so much fun learning about our history!
Love the pic~ so fascinating!
smiles
Teresa

My Colonial Home said...

Jen what an interesting things to have learned.
You must look into it more...thanks for sharing.
Karen

Linda said...

That is just the coolest thing. Too bad you don't know more about him. It is amazing that you have his pic and know as much as you do. Best of luck in your search. I live in Texas. I have an old book that was written by a man named Boone. Some relation to the Boone's. Anyway, he had a wild west show. I'll have to look in our boxes and see if your ancestor's pic is in his book. Will let you know.
I love genealogy - you just never know what "nut" grew on our tree.
Y'all take care and happy searching, Linda

PrimWyoGirl said...

Jenn, I live out west, Wyoming. I just read this post. I am pretty sure I have seen this somewhere. I will print off when I get home and so on a shopping mission for you! It will be fun. Our stores are full of this kind of history. I can even check the historical society.
I will let you know if I turn up something!
Jayne

~Star Spangled Pretties~ said...

I live in Wyoming as well. I know Buffalo Bill Cody had a wild west show....the Buffalo Bill Historical Center has a website and you may be able to find out more there, I know they have a bunch of links to research the plains Indians, etc on their site:
http://www.bbhc.org/home/
Hope you find what you are looking for! :0)

taylors*farmhouse*attic said...

Thank you so much Jayne!!!!..I'm just now seeing your post...This is sooooo exciting!!!..I hope you can find one....